Friday, May 8, 2009

Every Hour is Happy Hour




Beats pulsed with the psychedelic kaleidoscope of geometric images on the walls of inSpiral Lounge, in the heart of Camden, a trendy alternative suburb of London.
It was to be my last night in town and my going away party organized by friends. Their instructions were to pick a place that suited me and this is where we ended up. Amongst organic ciders and handmade chocolates were illuminated crystals and bohemian hipsters. A cozy little place that kind of felt like the best kept secret in town.
"Jones" was the organizer of this evenings event and was responsible for putting on some great acts since the lounge opened a year ago. My first introduction to him was when he tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I could lower my voice during one of the performances. I replied, "I know I'm sorry, I talk so loud!" His aim was to create a vibe where people could enjoy listening to up and coming local talent like Ilana Lorraine. In a lovely floral dress and a with a white flower in her hair she evoked the summer vibe that her music was all about. She described it as "happy music", and it certainly made us all bop our heads as she slid between the sultry notes of Bossa Nova to the uplifting beats of Reggae.
If you are one of the last stragglers of the evening then you might be lucky enough to catch "Sasha" perform. A waitress at the lounge since it opened, she waited a year before ever getting on the stage. "I work here and so I didn't want to dominate the space." And its understandable to see how she might. Her soulful voice, often naked on the stage or accompanied by an acoustic guitar belts out familiar songs that gets the blood of the place pumping once again. Between wiping tables, preparing midnight cups of tea and grooving on the stage, Sasha embodies the free spirit of a space she helped to create.
http://www.inspiralled.net/ed.net/

1 comments:

ILANA LORRAINE said...

Hey thank you so much for coming to my show. I really hope you enjoyed it.

You can hear more of my music at: http://www.reverbnation.com/ilanalorraine and the album will be out late Summer time.

Also please can you email me that photo and send me any others that you may have from the gig?

Thanks

Enjoy the sunshine

ilana x